Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 2: Living in a Post Card

As each day passes I am falling more and more in love with Spain. Everyone says that the first week is the worst as far as homesickness, and its true. It gets much better when you start to appreciate the moment and realize this is an opportunity of a lifetime.I guess the biggest adjustment was more of a lifestyle shock rather than a culture shock. I am the definition of a WORKAHOLIC if I am not in a meeting or in class, I am working and most of the type by choice. Since I was about 15 years old I've been apart of the workforce and can proudly say I have never been without a job. So you can say that I am going insane not having a set time to clock in and out, not getting a pay check but most of all this freaky thing called "free time"! Being a full time student, working two jobs, participating in student organizations and maintaining my sanity I rarely have this.

My daily routine includes a bus ride to campus, two classes, a bus ride home, making lunch then heading to the beach with my friend Alejandra. Rough life I know! But as wonderful as all this seems it can get old very fast for a workaholic as myself and it truly took some time to get used to my new freedom I call life. For the first time in my life I'm not worried about deadlines, clocking in, or heading to meetings, I am getting the opportunity to stop and smell the roses. Making this change in my life has really made me reflect a little on how I've been living my life and as great as it is to be a workaholic or career driven it leaves little room for the most important things in life. Once I get home, I've decided  need to "take a chill pill" and start making more of an effort in having a life then just maintaining one.

La Playa!


Besides all of this reflection! Classes are going great but with the condensed summer schedule it is already time for MIDTERMS! What?! So, the entire week we prepared for the exam, essays and readings. sounds like a drag but with my awesome professors it helps ease the pain a bit. Tuesday has become my new favorite day of the week! Beer pong tournament at Havanna, for only 3 euros you get open bar for beer and sangria and participate in the beer pong competition. Alejandra and I decided to sign up with zero intentions of actually playing and since we were in the 40 brackets I was glad that I would not be playing. Surprisingly, I am not huge on going on during the week anymore even though it really is a great time here. I guess I'm finally getting old. The 4th floor girls and myself decided to grab a delicious Kabob from our favorite stand and head home early.
Heading out with my floor girls :)


My roommate Stephanie and neighbor Alejandra ❤❤❤


Late night Kabobs with Kream! 

The rest of the week consisted of studying for exams and finishing up the week! The time difference is really killing my ability to be able to talk to my friends and family back home but face timing my  bestie Sara always puts a smile on my face! And of course my latest updates from Maya and Claudia! I haven't heard my mom's voice in so long I'm really starting to miss her! I decided to buy Skype minutes to be able to call her more easily! FYI much easier than calling cards or using apps it's about $7 for unlimited calls to the US. 

ANYWAYS! After a rough week (sarcasm ) we decided to celebrate the end of midterms with some margaritas. I miss Mexican food so much! We found a little Mexican reasturant..... The European interpretation of Mexican food is hilarious... They put mashed papas in the tacos?! Where's my San Marcos when I need it.. 
Out for Margaritas 🇪🇸

Haha how cute! 

Mango margaritas... God I miss my Mexicans 😩


After some dinner and drinks the group decided to find some local pubs to have some fun! We found this great pub called Mulligans with American music and Spanish music.. We were welcomed with free shots! Vale! I asked for a rum and diet... Correction Rum con Coca cola light. Yes, don't ask for diet they will look at you like your an idiot. We met some guys Diego, Kevin and Gustavo local Spaniards. My roomie Sadie literally had me in tears if how funny she was being and overall was a good night. We decided to call it a night since we had to be up early for a field trip the next morning. 
Being silly with the girls! Party favors!


Free Shots at Mulligans. 

Trip to Elche y Tabarca 

 We met at Plaza Lucerios at 9:30 am , and even though I showed up with last nights mascara and a bun I was still there! Luckily Elche was only about a 20 minute drive but we arrived to the palm tree capital of Europe. There were literally palm trees everywhere. It was such a beautiful town. We went to the cathedral and climed to the very top.. it was hilarious watchig everyone in te group climb ober 150 stairs to the top. Everyone wanted to die, but the view was amazing and we got our cardio in. Next stop was Tabarca island off of the coast of Spain for some snorkeling. 

Stair cases to the top!


My roomies and I in Elche


La Dama de Elche- fertility statue of Elche... Clearly I stayed far away from her as possible! 

Tabarca

The island of Tabarca was beautiful! It is literally an island specifically for tourists with only 30 residents on the island. The USAC group headed to the restaurant for lunch. Our large group was greeted with appetizers and courses and courses of food. My favorite was the Paella con pollo! So delicious! But has nothing on my Rican food ! 

Paella

After a true definition of a smash session we departed from the group for some exploring. Alejandra had the great idea of let's walk around the entire island... (Not a great idea) little did we know Tabarca is known as the rock island.. Yes lots and lots of rocks. It literally took Sadie, Stephanie, Alejandra and I forever to get around the entire island but it was well worth t for the views. 

Rocky loved Tabarca. 

Amanda and I on the Ferry




Sunday:

After my long and adventurous day in Tabarca and Elche. I decided to take a nap not knowing it would last for 9 hours. Sunday was going to be my day of rest. God had the right idea! My Roomates and I decided to change and head to the medieval festival in town. Sometimes I forget that I'm not in the U.S. I expected knights in shining armor and a beauty and the beast type setting for the festival. And to my surprise it looked more like an Arabic festival. I was so confused ! Silly American ! The Spanish have a different interpretation of the medieval times because of the heavy influence of Arab dynasty at that time period. But I was even more excited for Arabic food! I has some Pakora and a Fanta Limon. 
Menu for food

Booths


Arab Princess 👑👑👑


My week had been exhausting and I still had my presentation in class due Monday!  Luckily it was on music of Latin America so I was we'll prepared. I could talk about Aventura all day. I prepared for my 4 day week before heading to Morocco this weekend!! So excited for camel riding on the beach! Only 5 more days! Vale!

1 comment:

  1. Living the dream! So jealous and so happy for you:) keep sharing your blog links so I can live vicariously through them lolol

    ReplyDelete