Saturday, June 15, 2013

Morocco Day 2: Arab princess for a day 👑

Today will go down as one of the most memorable days in life. Morocco has stolen my heart and I am loving every part of my adventure. My day started out with breakfast... We had a fantastic breakfast selection at the hotel with some great authentic Arabic coffee. I almost forgot how much middle easterns love pita but have embraced my weekend of carbs! Once breakfast was complete we hopped onto the bus and headed for an hour trip to the city of Chefchouan. And how appropriate the movie playing on the bus was Aladdin! I knew my day was going in the right direction from that moment on..... We stopped at a local store for a 20 minute restroom break and the view was breathtaking. I have not witnessed a bad looking area yet. As we headed off the bus we were greeted by a bus full of local school children on their way to school... They were so adorable screaming Ahola. Surprisingly enough in Africa some think aloha is what Americans say for hello.....

What I woke up to... I love donkeys 

View 😍

My Arabic babies 😍😍😍


As we entered Chefchouan, locals and venders filled the streets. The group was introduced to our tour guide, I named him Mo ( I really have no idea what his name is) and he welcomed us to the city. Mo lead the group on a walking tour of the city explaining the history of its people, religion and traditions. He explained the rich Muslim culture and how everyday life is for the locals. The group learned quickly that you are NOT to take pictures without permission because you will offend someone and at one point were even yelled at by the locals. Mo explained the reasons for the colors of the homes and the significance they have to the religion and practical reasons. The city is filled with beautiful blue house which is why it is nick named the blue city. The color blue prevents bugs, Mosquitos and flies from entering the home and keeps it cool. Throughout the day the doors in the homes are kept open and the city actually has no police system during the day... Treat  and trust thy neighbor well.

Rocky loves Morocco! 

My Alicante girls 😁😁


Throughout the entire tour I felt as if I were in a movie. I could not grasp the fact that I was able to experience all of this. We then headed over to the washing river. No explained that each and everyday the women take the rugs of the home and wash in the river. Many women were carrying huge carpets all through the city in the horrible heat. The site of the river was beautiful and the people mingling with friends and neighbors. I asked Mo a little more about the culture, I was really intrigued about daily life and poverty levels. He said that the people live day by day and live with by their means he said " you should only worry about having enough money to eat today, never worry about another day". I really liked that. Too many of us are constantly concerned about tomorrow, about the future when really life is just too short. 

Mo! 

Washing river

Washing areas 

LUNCH TIME! 

 After a straining walking tour in the scorching African heat I was really to refuel. We went to a traditional Moroccan restaurant filled with pillows and lanterns. I was in heaven. Lunch consisted of a DELICIOUS salad, chicken and rice and fruit as dessert. After lunch we were dismissed for Shopping!
 
The bartering Queen! 

After my many trips to Chinatown in NYC , I knew I was ready for the challenge of bartering in Morocco! They didn't even know what hit them! The Moroccan Dirham is the local currency which converts to 10 dirham = 1 Euro 8dirham = 1 USD. Keep that in mind and NEVER pay full price. The streets were lined with shops and shops of just about anything I could have ever imagined, rugs, bags, clothes, and jewelry. As I walked through town I could feel eyes following me. Men were stopping me left and right calling me beautiful, an Arab princess and some even gave me free things. I was beyond flattered but always kept my eye out for any funny business! Alejandra was very amused at the fact that I was literally being chased after. Men were offering things left and right and two offered "special massages" and assured i would be pleased... then it was time to go! I told you all I was really a princess 👑. 

 

My new Moroccan friends who argued over who would be my boyfriend.. Lol 

My new goodies:
2 tobacco pipes
Slippers
2 woven cover ups
Key chains
Earrings
Post cards 
Moroccan knife
Camel toys
Bracelets
Wallet 
And more! 

For future morocco travelers you will see the "Hand of Fatima" very often. I absolutely fell in love with this symbol and its meaning. The symbol is beautiful and is a popular symbol for Christians and Muslims. The hand represents protection from all harm and jealousy of the world and a sign of good luck, blessings, and strength.

Hand of Fatima


After a long day it was time to head back to the hotel and then dinner later that night! The group rested for awhile and headed to dinner and a traditional dance show which were both fantastic! I had a great day filled with history, culture and amazing memories! I have fallen head over heels with the culture, generosity and warmth of Morocco! More to come tomorrow!! 

Besos! 😘😘

Princess Melanie 👑 

No comments:

Post a Comment