Sunday, June 23, 2013

Canyoning!

My Roomates convinced me to sign up for Canyoning! For those of you who know me I'm a bit of a princess and getting muddy, hiking and jumping off cliff isn't typically on my to-do list. To be honest since I've been traveling I have wanted to fully embrace all that I can in my time here in Spain. We woke up early Saturday morning to meet at the port with the excision company to head off an hour away into the mountains.The 8 of us USAC girls had no idea what we had signed up for.  We paid our 40 euros for our crazy excursion and headed off! The drive was great, we drive through the city of Benidorm and the mountains were gorgeous. I was nervous about canyoning because honestly I didn't know what the hell it was... At first I thought it was canoeing! I had a great conversation with the instructor on the way about the city of alicante, history of the festivals and canyoning. We arrived at the meeting point where we joined with the rest of the group who was also canyoning.

Putting on the wetsuit was an absolute mess! The girls and I were most definitely struggling with sliding on a skin tight suit, needless to say I have some battle scars from the struggle! 

Only took 45 minutes! Lol

After a 45 minute struggle with wetsuits, helmets and harnesses we were ready to go!  We began the journey with a mile hike up to the top of the cliffs in the 85 degree heat. As we reached the top the instructor began his do's and dont's and how to not die basically. The cliffs were amazing, it was great to be in the nature and really appreciate its beauty. We hiking up and down, over and upset through rapids of water and it felt so great to be in the water after hiking in the heat! We approached the first jump and I was first to go.... I watched the instructor and he looked at me and said in spanish ok let's go. And I looked at him and said ummm down there?! He was like well there isn't any other way down. Oo great Melanie! So, I jumped! It was awesome adrenaline rush.... I had a great time jumping, repelling off cliffs and hiking in the mud. We had a great group on the trip which made everything so much more fun, some pilots from France, Americans and some Spanish couples. 

My instructor Francis before i repelled! Sliding through the water! 

Such an amazing feeling! 

I cannot thank my roomates Stephanie and Sadie enough for convincing me to go! I had the time of my life and can't wait to add some more adventure into my life. This trip has already changed the way I think about life and I can't wait to embrace and experience so much more. I want to explore the world and see life!  Life is all about take chances. You never know what will come after that first leap of faith but I can't wait to see !

 I can still be a princess just need to take of the tiara ever once in awhile! Take a leap of faith and don't worry about the outcome!

Besos! 

Melo



No comments:

Post a Comment