Monday, June 10, 2013

So remember when I thought I knew Spanish!

Coming into this experience I was completely confident that I could survive off of my basic Spanish vocabulary since my family had been speaking to me for years..... WRONG!  Granted I was better off then most but Spanish class is a whole different story. Everyday i wake myself up in the morning. , Get ready and make some breakfast. My roommate Sadie and my neighbor Alejandra head out to catch bus 24 to the University. Yea, princess Melo has been riding public transportation! My papi would be so proud! Riding the bus is definitely an experience and people watching has become my new hobby. Literally everyone rides the bus. I learned that the gas prices are insane in Europe so many utilize the public transportation options such as the bus, tram and train. 
Lessons from the bus:
- personal space means nothing to Spaniards
- if there is an open seat run! 
- offering your seat to an elderly person is  basically an insult, the Spanish are very proud people and get easily insulted when offered help
- deodorant people! 
- don't stare at people too long  
Bus 24!



My Mexicana Alejandra! 

My Composition 2 professor is Cristina (yes you call your professor by their first names here) , she is the cutest thing ever and kind of resembles my mom. Cristina is has short red hair, skinny and full of energy. The first day of class she said I don't know any English so don't even try. I was like great! There are only three of us in this class it's me a Puerto Rican/ Ecuadorian working on her Spanish, a Mexican working on her Spanish and a Spanish/American doing the same! Los tres tontas! I love Cristina she cracks me up everyday telling me the latest in Spanish culture. Usually Spanish class is one of two things for me, a frustrating hour or a haha this is so easy hour but in Spain I'm getting a mix of both. Cristina keeps me motivated by telling me "tu  que necesitas es confianza"! She tells me everyday Melanie you know what your doing just have confidence!  I'm learning more Spanish than ever and she really does motivate the three of us. 

Then my next class is Spanish Conversations 2 with Marta. Marta is the sweetest professor and welcomes us each day " Que Tal?" By the way half of the phrases used here I never heard of and using Vosotros is obnoxious for this Boricua! This class is a great time we have students from all over the US in our class and Emily is there too! We go over typical scenarios in class and practice our Spanish ( yes I am getting a grade to sit there and speak in Spanish) . 

Lessons from Marta:
- for as much PDA teen pregnancy is not a problem
- abortion is legal but has regulations you can only get an abortion for 3 reasons 
1. Rape
2. Birth Defect
3. Mother's illness 
- never tip
- some things Americans do is just crazy to Europeans 
- there are no finance or engagements in Spain, you are either boyfriend/ girlfriend or you are married 
- no engagement rings
- very rich families have a tradition very similar where both the man and woman's family get together and exchange gifts for the two, the man's family gives the girl a ring and the woman's family gives the man a watch
- men don't always pay the tab! 
- groups split the bill no separate checks 
- being American isn't the coolest thing in the world

As for the campus it's a beautiful campus with lost of student activity. The coffee in Spain is Amazing! If you know me at all you know I LOVE coffee , you can blame my Puerto Rican grandma for that one... She apparently thought giving a 5 year old cafe con leche and bread was a good idea!  The idea of coffee is also much different than in the US. If you know me at all you know that it is part of my daily routine to grab a reduced calorie Teddy Bear from my favorite coffe shop Biggby every morning, so yes I love coffee. The Spanish don't look at coffee in the same aspect, it's to drink for energy so the sizes are small cappuccino style and not to be over indulged as Americans do. If you want a large sized coffee called Cafe American you will be looked at in disgust! Before class I go and grab my small cup of coffee out of my favorite machine, taste better than any Starbucks or coffee shop in the states for just .15 ! 


Lessons:
- students in Spain don't typically work besides going to University
- college costs around 1000 euros PER YEAR!
- texts books are very afforable aroun 20 Euros per book
- you have 2 chances to take your mid terms and finals 
- your entrance exam determines which majors you are ALLOWED to choose
- apparently school is a fashion show 
-bathrooms are gross 
- the male and female sign looks the same
- the signs are in Spanish and Catalan ( just to drive me more insane!) 
- you can get beer and wine in the cafeteria 
- I will be much nicer to international students from now on!
- it really is a struggle to not be a native speaker!
-I want to invest in a Vespa eventually! 
-wifi is like GOLD to me 





  



It's crazy how much you see when you finally open your eyes.......


No comments:

Post a Comment