Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Intercambios and Tutoring

My study abroad company offers a program called intercambio which pairs students from Spain  with American students to exchange languages. My intercambio name is Alberto! Alberto and I decided to meet at the local pub to get to know each other during siesta time. Alberto is a recent graduate from Alicante and currently works for an American company in Spain as a tax advisor. He wants to practice his English more for work purposes and  wanted to meet a new American friend. He was so sweet and even suggested some great places I must see before going. Alberto was so excited to hear that I was Puerto Rican because he has previously studied abroad in Florida where he met so many Puerto Ricans. During his time in the US he even got to visit Puerto Rico and was raving about his time there! Going to the United States is a pretty big deal to Spaniards and they take every opportunity they can to visit the states. Alberto and I decided we would meet around once or twice a week to practice our languages!

Tutoring sessions with Lucia ! 

Another program I decided to participate in was the tutoring program where parents hire American students to speak English to kids. I got selected to tutor an adorable little girl named Lucia. Lucia is 2 years old and can speak both English and Spanish which is really incredible! Her mother is actually a local English teacher and has really made a great effort to teaching Lucia English. The family only lives about 5 minutes from my apartment so it was a perfect match! I arrived to the apartment a little nervous to teach a rambunctious 2 year old English, especially since I hardly have any time around kids. I was welcomed by Lucia and her mother at the door and she was the most adorable little girl with her light brown hair! I love kids that speak Spanish! I was shocked to see how much English and Spanish Lucia knew and how well she identified both languages. At the age of two she is able to identify her colors, numbers, letters and animals in both languages. I am going to be tutoring Lucia once a week for the rest of the summer!



Lucia! 


Break time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment