Monday, June 10, 2013

Madrid: Day 1

Day 1:

After some much needed rest, Emily and I were full of excitement to explore the city of Madrid! We decided we were determined to get familiar with the city without a map and hopefully find the famous Plaza Mayor. Leaving the hostel, I was confident I could find Plaza Mayor because I totally glazed over the map before leaving... and again I was WRONG! We literally walked miles and miles, walked through every possible neighborhood in Madrid until finally we found it! I was so excited that we finally accomplished our goal of the day!  Plaza Mayor was breathtaking. It was as if we went back in time.... with shops, performers and restaurants. We decided to grab a bite to eat and what better to start off with some Spanish Tapas and Sangria. The Sangria was AMAZING! The Sangria was pure and deliciously filled with fresh fruit. Our waiter Luigi was an immigrant of Ecuador who migrated to Spain like many do. He was so lively and even sang my favorite Bachata song to me. He suggested some must see sites and great night life clubs. We were so exhausted from our day of exploring that we decided to find the hostel. All I could think was great here we go again! And to my surprise we were AROUND THE CORNER from the hostel the entire time! At that point all Emily and I could do was laugh, I really enjoyed my day of being lost.









As we entered the hostel we were so easily convinced to attend the Pub Crawl that evening by the event coordinator telling me "You are in Madrid and in Madrid we Party".  I participated in "beer games" aka Beer Pong, the foreigners were so surprised a girl knew what she was doing... they said clearly she's American! Emily and I met a group of guys who were all traveling together a Greek, German, Brazilian, a French guy and some Canadians. It was such a great time meeting new people and sharing traveling experiences. First lesson of the night : Foreign men are very persistent and do not take rejection well! But as many of you know I'm not shy and will put you in your place :) Apparently being Puerto Rican and in Spain instantly gets you friends! Emily and I decided to call it a night since the bars/clubs are open till 6 am. We were afraid to walk home alone but luckily we recognized a nice guy from the hostel named Daniel visiting from Venezuela who agreed to walk us home! Daniel was such a gentleman and made us instantly feel safe! We arrived back at the hostel and Daniel offered to take us to the BEST pizza shop that was 24/7! I got some pizza for just 1€ a slice and headed for bed! I had such a great time out and loved finally hearing Spanish music again... I was literally beat from the day! 







No comments:

Post a Comment